Tuesday, May 22, 2007

You're old and dumb... I'm only dumb...

I guess the United Blogging Council got together and decided that this week's main topic would be age. I've seen the topic discussed on two different blogs now, one is Dawn's and the other is not an appropriate link for this blog.

The topic of age and how that relates to maturity and knowledge and experience and whether or not you should get married is one that I rarely see eye to eye with others on. Because, as you may or may not know, I'm always the exception. Trust me. There's nothing I fucking hate more, than when someone says to me - "well, you're the exception." I've killed people for far less, so don't go there.

Example one. When I was the ripe old age of 19, I got involved in dog rescue. And thru that involvement, helped to start a 10 state Rottweiler Rescue called MidAmerica Rottweiler Rescue. Pretty soon I was on the board of directors as the Adoption Coordinator. And then Volunteer Coordinator. And then Vice President. But many people in that rescue wouldn't have let me adopt a dog because I was under 21, or 25, or whatever stupid number they wanted to put on maturity and the ability to care for a dog.

The justification? "Well, of course at 19 years old, you couldn't possibly know what you want in life." "You're probably going to go to college, and then get married, and then move, and the dog will be out in the street."

I would fight with these people endlessly about age requirements. Don't assign a number to maturity. If someone isn't mature enough to care for a dog, what does it matter if they are 15 or 45? And vice versa. My point was, nothing happens on your 21st birthday that makes you ready and mature enough to do anything. Whether it's drink, get married, adopt a dog, whatever. People should be evaluated on an individual basis and not simply because of their age. It just doesn't mean very much to me. I know 10 year old kids that are more mature than most 50 year olds.

Example 2. I met my now wife when we were 17. Seniors in high school. Virgins (oh the horror!). We fell in love almost right away. After high school we moved out, got a Rottweiler, got jobs, went to college, had a lot of sex, drank, did drugs, whatever. Then we moved again, and still kept our dog. And then we bought a house at 22. And then we got married at 23. And still kept our dog! Had a (gasp!) kid at 27, with TWO ROTTWEILERS! I know, I know, everyone told us the dogs were going to EAT our kid, and then turn on us and EAT US!

What's my point? I seen a comment on another blog that said if you get married in your 20s, before basically sleeping around with as many people as you can, you're making a "big, big mistake". I don't think we made a mistake. In fact, I wouldn't do it any other way. I don't have to picture my wife having sex with someone else, because there is no one else she's had sex with. There's no diseases to worry about. And I certainly have no desire to get divorced now and go sleep with everyone, not that anyone besides the hot wife would sleep with me anyways... But I don't feel like I missed out on anything.

I just don't buy into a lot of the age stereotypes that people throw out there. It's fine if you were too immature at that age to make decisions about your path in life, but don't assume that the rest of us are as well. While we've certainly made some mistakes along the way, and things are not always strawberry fields forever, I think the hot wife and I are great examples of how it can work out. We've made changes in our lives, sure, but we chose to make them together and never once have we felt like we missed out on anything in our lives.

Nick

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home