Monday, March 19, 2007

Mixed bag Monday

* I'm a little scatter-brained today, so play along. Lot's of things to cover from the weekend and such.

* I played two poker tournaments this weekend and again, didn't do as well as I would have liked. I feel like I'm playing well, and for the most part making the right calls, just not getting the right cards at the right time. I do have some adjustments I'm going to try, including being more aggressive early on. One thing I've noticed is I've played a little more conservatively up front, and then have been bullied by the larger chip stacks later on. I want to be the bully...

* I'm playing this weekend in a tournament of 44 players. The winner gets a $10,000 buy in to the World Series of Poker main event and paid air fare to the Land of Hethens (aka Las Vegas). If there was ever a time to bring my A game, this is it. The winner of the main event in Vegas last year brought home... I think it was $12 million.

* I heard a funny and true line in a NOFX song on the way in this morning - "The only real drug problem is scoring real good drugs"

* Watched The Departed last night. Not impressed. It was a typical mob movie. There's a mob boss, some mob lackeys, a couple of rats, and a lot of pretty gruesome killing. That's it. The end was confusing, although I admit, I'm easily confused because I just don't pay a lot of attention to mob movies. I won't talk about why I was confused, because it may spoil it for some. But does anyone know why that one dude killed the other dude? There's 87 possibilities I can think of, but unless I missed something, I don't think any can be ruled out. Ah, screw it, I don't really care...

* I done went and got myself involved in some stupid post war about Social Security reform on some stupid local message board. Why? Why do I do this to myself? I know it won't get anywhere, because the only people willing to argue the subject just hate Bush and have no real interest in discussing private SS accounts. They say things like "it will bankrupt Social Security" and "it's Bush's favor to Wall Street". Yeah, ok. Is our society so dumbed down now that we're only able to speak in bumper sticker style sentences? I realize the hatred for our current President is off the charts, but should that deter us from debating issues that face our country? Apparently it should. I guess when we stick with the status quo, and just raise taxes to pay for decreased benefits, I'll follow along like a good little sheep. I tried, it's pointless, I'm done trying.

* Am I the only parent on the face of the earth who does not want his child to have a cell phone? I know responsibility and independence are foreign concepts in today's age, but I'm of the opinion we have taken things with kids way too far. A co-worker said to me today, "just wait, Braeden will have a blackberry by the time he's four." Trust me, my dear readers, over my dead fuckin' body...

* I'm going to be a horrible parent. It's just true.

Nick

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home