Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I promise to abuse my kids...

I'm a little worried about being a parent to tell you the truth. It's weird that being as young as I am (for an adult) that I feel so old and out of touch. We babysat for my brother who is 14 this past weekend. We also used to babysit for my sister-in-law's three boys, sometimes still do.

Now, I'm 26. It wasn't really that long ago that I was there age. But things were not like they are now. I know all people probably feel this way as they get older... the youth of today is, well... in trouble. But I don't think we're just talking about listening to cruddy music anymore, although, the music of today is arguably cruddy. What ever happened to MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice??? Now that was music...

But I seriously think the youth of today is in some serious trouble. Here's why:

- T.V. For the love of whatever, kids are in front of the t.v. way too f-ing much. I know this will sound retarded to the older folks, but we only had 25 fricken channels when I was growing up. And they all sucked. We never sat and watched t.v. unless it was -30 degrees out or pouring rain. We went outside! And played! With other kids! If you didn't have any friends around, you just beat the crap out of whomever you could find. Or heaven forbid... you rode your fricken bike to where your friends lived... Now you need a cell phone and a homing device to leave the driveway. Parents these days are ninnies. Let your kids explore... Get run over a couple of times...

- Video games. It wasn't until I was at least 11 or 12 that Super Mario Brothers came out. You jumped on turtles and shot fireballs at weird, fat looking fish. Now at five years old, these kids are taking their skateboards and smashing people in the head, or running from cops in fancy ass cars and shooting up neighborhoods. Hmmm... think that will effect them in the long run? Nah...

- Discipline. No one knows how to fricken discipline their kids anymore. Gee, you can't spank your kids, oh heavens no... We have to be friends with our kids, and sit them in front of the t.v. like good little robots, and let them surf the internet all day, and cry and piss and moan for the best Nike shoes money can buy. Maybe, maybe, just maybe, if you whack the damn little brat when he/she acts like an idiot, and teach them how to respect adults, and go to bed without having a snack and 3 hours of television time... maybe they won't have a f-ing hissy fit in the store when they can't buy the newest, bad ass video game...

I'm all about firm discipline first, and then priviledges later. Kids today just get shit to shut them up. That's no way to raise a kid. Let the little bastard cry himself to sleep once in a while. It builds character. Teach them to respect all adults. Make them go outside once in a while and get away from the t.v. or video games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home