Monday, December 13, 2004

How to argue a point

Once upon a time I belonged to a dog related email list, called Rottie-L. It was an email list dedicated to the discussion of Rottweilers. I know, you're thinking - awwww, how fuzzy... an email list about cute little doggies. Yeah, sometimes.... Sometimes it was a very educational list, sometimes it was a list of fuzzy congratulations and birthday announcements, litter announcements... all that good stuff.

But like any subject we discuss in life, there were disagreements. There were arguements. Sometimes it got downright nasty, as people from all over the world discussed passionate topics (to them, mind you) about responsible breeding, laws pertaining to animals and even animal rights.

Naturally in a forum of 800-1000 people, if you want to get someone to see your point, or even "come over to your side", you had to be an effective.... arguer, I guess you could say. Because I spent several years on this list, I developed some simple mental guidelines that I used to argue my points. Maybe you can use them when you are arguing yours.

With that, the - how did you get here - rules of engagement:

1. Use facts. There is a reason that conspiracy theories are just that - conspiracy theories.

2. Stereotypes are an easy way to get around thinking.

3. No one is ever educated via insults or belittling. Save it for your closing point.

4. I am always right, you are always wrong, the sooner we all agree on that, the better.

Enjoy, and happy arguing!

peace nick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home