Tuesday, November 22, 2005

"Does this blaze orange make me look fat?"


Ah, deer hunting…. A time of year in the late fall where hundreds of thousands of men, women and children venture out into the woods to hunt Bambi. You gotta love it. I don't hunt deer myself, although I do love the meat.

But you know what's occurred to me lately is, those who live in civilized parts of the country, you may not hear much about deer hunting. And if, heaven forbid, you are ever in this part of the country this time of year… you may be a little confused by some of the conversations taking place. Deer hunting speak… so to speak…

For instance, you may hear someone say: "Yeah hey, that there's a nice body, but ya know, s'gotta pretty small rack." Or… "Yeah, did ya see the spread on that one there hey?"

Or, my favorite: "This one time, at deer camp…"

Completely normal…. Well, maybe not normal… but they're not talking dirty is what I'm trying to say. Clearly, it's easy to see how some of these conversations can be taken the wrong way. But a little education on the local language can go a long way, and that's why I'm here.

So the next time you are up nort' here, and hear someone say - "Yeah hey, I hit 'er square in the ass, and she made it 'bout 75 yards before going down…" - don't be alarmed. They're simply referring to deer hunting…

peace nick

5 Comments:

Blogger Kay said...

That's some pretty funny shit. I grew up in a small town where everyone (myself excluded) hunted, so I never really thought about how perverse a lot of those statements can be.
Funny shit. Thanks

11:15 AM  
Blogger dabydeen said...

Never had deer myself ... but I would give it a try if I'm ever up there.

(And Bambi probably deserved it.)

12:29 PM  
Blogger Hank Ortuno said...

Used to have a lot of deer jackin' here. Don't so much anymore. How about up your way?






Deer jackin': Illegal taking of deer usually at night or out of season.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never been around these hunting types. Its weird.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

kay - i never did either until i needed a blog post :)

andy - we don't share with outsiders...

conservativetrail head - no idea. sure it happens quite a bit though.

dawn - yer lucky :)

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home