Monday, October 31, 2005

You're among sinners, sinner

As I was sitting in church this past Saturday (we were at a wedding) I was struck by something the pastor kept repeating.

"You're a sinner… I'm a sinner… We're all sinners…"

Nothing is a bigger downer than being a sinner. But it occurred to me as he rambled on about us sinners, that I'm not even sure how I became a sinner. I'm not sure how one becomes a sinner, and how one becomes a non-sinner. Or even if we can become non-sinners.

So, what are the sins? Well, as any good researcher does when they want to know something, I went to the internet and came up with the Seven Deadly Sins. I actually didn't come up with them, I just found out what they are. Here they are, and where I stand on them.

1. Pride. Pride? A sin? Lest he not be proud of himself, let he only be proud of God. Whatever. God kills children, I don't. And I'm proud of myself for that. No hell here.

2. Greed. I don't consider myself greedy, although I guess that means I have pride. Hell on this one...

3. Envy. There are more people I don't envy, than I do. By the power of majorities… I think I'm safe here.

4. Anger. Well, I'm not an angry person in general… I guess I'm safe on this one too.

5. Lust. Hi, hell? Ya, I'll be right there...

6. Gluttony. Every Friday I drink too much. And I want too much sex. Welcome to hell.

7. Sloth. I'm still fuzzy on this one. I think it goes along the lines of being lazy. Hmmm… let me see here… yup, hell.

So I guess there you have it. I'm a sinner according to the Seven Deadly Sins of the Christian faith. I guess the good thing is that I don't believe in heaven or hell.

Is that sloth? I hope so, because sloth sounds pretty damn cool :)

peace nick

9 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

Well, my comments section could use a little life these days :)

I'm not sure how he knew I was a Leo... maybe we're all non-believers??? Heathens...

uidgjgyd

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're all sinners because of women as I highlighted here: I Have A Death Wish.

It goes like this, we were created perfect by God but then Eve ate the apple and got Adam to do so as well. As such they were punished with death. Because their children came AFTER their sin, all their kids inheritted sin.

I'd just like to say one more thing:

TIMMY (said in retard wheelchair bound South Park voice)

10:10 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

I don't believe in intelligent design, so thus, I don't believe in the Adam and Eve story. Might as well be Greek Mythology to me :)

TIMMY!


boeeorh

7:26 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

dawn - here I am... WHERE ARE YOU?! Blogging break... we can't take blogging breaks!!!

I order you back to blogging!!!

wlqvmu

7:29 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Hmmm, but I'm sure those can't be the only sins, right? Or do all sins just boil right back into the 7?
I'm going to think on this. Good thing it's on company time.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

The latter I believe. Because they didn't have molesting children on there, though I'm pretty sure that's a sin... although apparently not to the Catholic church...

tyucxyu

1:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Church is for believers, if you don't believe or aren't seeking why do you go? You can't even answer the most basic of questions about the Christian faith, nor do you apparently even want to understand.
1. There is no such thing as the 7 deadly sins of Christianity. Those are extra-biblical writings and though may have some value, they have nothing to do with being a Christian, and they focus on the problem, not the solution. The Bible focuses on the solution.
2. Your born a sinner. If you had kids you would know it to be true.
3. Good news, you are forgiven when you place your faith (trust) in God's provision to forgive sin (His Son)

If all you heard was "your a sinner" you missed the point of the story, my guess is you are willfully ignorant. Hopefully I am wrong and you are still seeking, it would be a shame if at 26 your mind was already closed.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

let me explain #2 a bit. I realized after I read it, it may not be as readily apparent to some that children are in fact; selfish in every way. You dont' have to teach children how to
lie, cheat, look out for themselves first
or even how to get violent. You have to teach them not to.
we are born sinners, in need of a savior.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

You misread me mr bob. Chill out.

dxrbmdz

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home