Tuesday, December 21, 2004

2004 in review

Well, with the end of the year fast approaching, and this being my last day of work before the 12 days of Christmas break... perhaps its a good time for a year end review of some things we've learned, discussed, etc...

This year I discovered blogging, obviously. Ive always enjoyed writing and this blog has been the perfect outlet for that. You can write some quick thoughts, or a more drawn out post. You can write several posts a day. I enjoy the peer interaction, although its been limited thus far. But the blog is young, I have a lot of good ideas I want to write about in the new year. Maybe we can even do some good, who knows...

I think this year I have become even more confused on where I fit with regards to politics. I never really agreed with much of the Democrats platform, but this year I found myself more and more disagreeing with the Republicans platform as well. I think for the most part I have a firm grasp of what I believe, Im just not real sure where those beliefs fit in with the two main political parties. If they even do.

Though I did learn this year that if you are a State Attorney General, you can drive your taxpayer funded car into the ditch. While drunk. And refuse to take a blood/alcohol test. And get away with it. But only if you are a Democrat.

I also learned that you can dump billions and billions of gallons of raw sewage into Lake Michigan. And get away with it. But only if you are a Democrat.

This year I returned to life in dog rescue and was elected Adoptions Coordinator of our rescue. Ive learned a ton from that position. Ive also learned a lot about volunteering in general. You can only work with what you have, and you cant save the whole world. Sometimes thats hard for people to grasp, and it usually leads to them burning out and going into hiding.

Ive learned a lot about people this year. Some people thrive on dysfunctional relationships. Some people dont even know there are beers out there besides Bud Light. Most people have never heard of Mason Jennings or Jack Johnson, and probably never will. Some people can argue anything, and will. Most will resort to insults if you ever decide you've had enough arguing with them.

This year I realized that a lot of people are against energy production, no matter how it is produced. There are people who will oppose every thing you can possibly come up with.

Finally, maybe most importantly, Ive learned this year that you should not take anyone, or anything, for granted. Especially those people and things that are most important to you. This year on June 18th my father passed away. A week later we had to put one of our dogs to sleep. Later on in the year my grandmother passed away. I could go on and on about what Ive learned from all of this, but I think I can sum it up with the cliche - life is too short. Dont take the people that are close to you for granted.

peace nick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home