Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Where ya going?

It took me a while, but I've finally settled on a new blog location and name. We'll see how it goes. This isn't my first blog, I've had several before this, but it's my first attempt to narrow the scope of the content. The plan is to mainly deal with poker and music, but from past experience, few people care about those topics enough to read about them daily, so I'll mix it up with some other topics as well. There are enough to go around, that's for sure... home remodeling, parenting, school, yadda yadda yadda.

In the poker world, I've been spending the off-time from the poker league I'm in to look into creating my own custom table. I already have a store bought table, but it's pretty basic. The idea is to take a round dining room table we had sitting in our basement and convert it. It should be an interesting project. More to come on that.

Also in poker, a few friends came over Sunday night to play a cash game. It was an interesting mix of quality. Three friends have played quite a bit in the past, and the other two either have never played before or only played once. Buy-in was $10 with unlimited rebuys, and I ended the night $50 up.

One thing I've noticed in playing with new players, both in tournaments and friendly cash games, it's hard (read: impossible) to get them off hands sometimes. If they pick up anything, or have a decent starting hand, no matter what you bet... they aren't folding. It leads to the occasional unnecessary suckout (aren't they all???) and in my opinion, only emboldens their bad play. Perhaps it's only experience that can tell a player to fold when they should fold. I think the way to handle these situations is to be patient and keep pots with them in it as small as possible, if for nothing else, to keep any suckouts that occur as painless as possible.

Many times when pros play with amateurs, they will try to keep the pot small pre-flop, and try to out-play them after the flop. I think they're on to something with that strategy.

We might as well throw some music out there too eh? I found on The Late Greats an interesting cover of a Blind Willie Johnson song called Nobody's Fault But Mine. It's by John Renbourn.

http://www.box.net/shared/xrvjkftm9b

And, of course, I found this interesting because one of my favorite musicians, Mason Jennings also does a cover of this song.

http://www.box.net/shared/cr1exmvulx

Nick

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger b said...

Thanks for letting me know about the new blog. I was sad that you were done blogging. Is it ok to attach the new link to my blog?

-b

7:19 PM  
Blogger Lindsay @ Splat Designs said...

YAY! I am so glad you are back!
L

10:00 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

"Is it ok to attach the new link to my blog?"

Sure :)

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home