Monday, May 02, 2005

I can confirm that you are not perfect...

We have two confirmations to go to this coming weekend. Being the non-church-goer that I am, I didn't really understand what confirmation was/is, so I decided to take some time to look it up.
So I go over to my trusty Catholic Encyclopedia and look up confirmation.

Confirmation: A sacrament in which the Holy Ghost is given to those already baptized in order to make them strong and perfect Christians and soldiers of Jesus Christ.

So if I am understanding this correctly, God is given to people who have been baptized, to apparently make them better people then they are now... or strong and perfect Christians...

Strong and perfect Christians... Now I can see why this is done with young children...

I fully expect to look around the churches this weekend and see a large majority of wannabe Christians.

Afterall, is remarriage after divorce not allowed in the Catholic church? Is adultery not allowed in the Catholic church?

And yet there will be people there who have been divorced and remarried, who have cheated on their spouses, and I'm certain there are other sins abound in the wonderful world of wannabe Christians.

So why pretend? Why pretend that you follow the teachings of your church, and continue to go thru all these things like confirmation, baptisms, etc???

I don't go to church, and I have doubts at times about whether I believe in a "God". But I don't go around pretending to be something that I am not. It's fake.

If you are divorced and remarried, if you have been unfaithful to your spouse, you are not welcome in the Catholic church, am I right? Just deal with the fact that you are not perfect and quit pretending...

And spare me the holier than thou bull when you ask me why I don't go to church or believe in God...

Because I am not perfect, and I don't pretend that I am... like you do.

peace nick

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a catholic...

but being a Christian is about acknowledging that when we do wrong things they are WRONG and we say sorry for them. We know that we don't live up to the perfect Christ-like life but that does not mean that you stop trying.

It's about and INTENTION and a striving to be better even though we know we fail.

Does that make more sense?

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it makes sense if you truly try to be a good person. My post is more directed at people who, while they may *want* to be good people, make decisions that clearly are not wise ones.

Like cheating on your spouse. You don't cheat on someone, and then just say "I'm sorry, I tried, and it didn't work out..."

People like that are fake, they are shallow, and IMO have no business pretending to be members of a church whose teachings clearly do not allow those things.

Thanks for stopping by :)

nick

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home