Friday, March 11, 2005

No more #4...

*The following post is a sports related post. I dont post on sports often, but I feel like it today since I think my opinion is vastly different than most of the civilized world, and I like to be different. If you dont like sports, see ya next week...

This past week it was reported that Brett Favre would return to the Packers for another year, and possibly more. And the collective sigh of relief has settled over Wisconsin for another year. Im not relieved. I realize I may be hanged for the following statement, but I will say it anyway...
I wish Brett Favre would retire. I will give that a moment to sink in...

No one in their right mind agrees with me that Brett Favre should retire. But consider that he will make over $11 million this year. $11 million! You could fill a lot of holes on the Packers with that money. You could repair the offensive line, the defensive backfield and pick up a good receiver to run routes opposite of break-out star Javon Walker.

Now I realize that Brett Favre is probably the greatest quarterback of all time. He never misses a game, which is quite remarkable in the NFL. As far as reliability, number 4 is top notch and a blessing. But if the goal of the Packers is to get to, and win, the Superbowl, Brett Favre is not our man.

To win the Superbowl these days you need an efficient quarterback who can sustain drives and not make mistakes. Lets face it, Brett Favre makes the most awful mistakes and he makes them at the worst possible times. Its just true. Some of his mistakes in the playoffs the last couple of years were just garbage... awful...

So what should the Packers do? Like I said, they could do a lot with Brett Favre's salary. They could pick up a lot of good players to fill different positions they need to fill. And at quarterback, yes, Craig Nall.

Craig Nall is vastly underrated I think. He has proven he is efficient, smart, and most importantly, he knows the impossible-to-learn Packer offense. Craig Nall has done very well in NFL Europe the last couple of years, and has done very well in back up of Brett Favre.

The Packers have a long history of dumping quarterbacks who have gone on to become very good players. Mostly because of Brett Favre never needing a very good back up. I fear this will happen with Craig Nall. Sooner or later he is going to want to be a starting quarterback, and he is not getting any younger. He should get that chance with the Packers, and he should get it with two very good receivers.

That cant happen with Brett Favre playing, and losing early playoff games, until he's fifty. Hang it up Brett, and let the rebuilding begin by allowing the Packer organization to tap your outrageous $11 million salary...

peace nick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home