Wednesday, January 14, 2009

All you have to do is configure the name server...


So I told you (and I mean you, as in the one person reading...) that I was working on learning to set up a real website. Well, I thought I had everything figured out and have been waiting to upload WordPress to my new home for the past couple of days. Only it wasn't working. The website that is hosting my website was giving me some horrible error message. One I didn't understand but was hoping someone with superior interwebbing knowledge would magically fix for me while I slept.

After three days of waiting I came to the conclusion I have no superior knowledge holding geek in shining armor watching over me. And I set about the horrid depths of www.people-who-know-too-much-about-interwebbing.com/forums. Because certainly someone has had this same exact problem before.

So I looked up - "how do I get this nasty error message to leave me and my new website alone so we can play nicely together?"

And this is what I found in return:

"You have to complete the DNS update on your domain website so your hosting website will recognize your website."

Well, I didn't understand a damn word of that. So after pleading with the forum for something written in a language somewhat resembling English, I was able to find this:

"All you have to do is go to your domain website and configure the name server. Then in 48-72 hours you should be good to go."

Wow, really?! That's ALL I have to do? Configure the name server on my domain website? Well duh, huh? Oh you silly interweb, how you've gotten the best of me this time...

Wait, 48-72 hours??? What the hell takes 48-72 hours on the interweb? Does someone have to walk my name server configuration from my domain website (probably in Russia) to my hosting website (probably somewhere high in the Himalayas)???

I just realized that everywhere in the Himalayas is probably high. And everyone for that matter... Now get walking so I can play with my damn website!

Nick

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You confused the hell outta me on that one. Good thing you know computers:)

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home