Tuesday, January 11, 2005

No, not religion again... well, a little...

Im going to devote this post to a comment that someone left a couple days ago, despite my incredible urge to go political in favor of private Social Security accounts... again. Not only because I like to stir the religious pot when I can, but because I think I have some readers who are more educated in religion than I, and maybe they could help me understand some things. How do I know that? Because Ive seen my page linked to on some religion related sites, albeit with a caution rating. A caution rating? I dont even swear here... do I? I may have. Oh well... Anyways, the comment was:

Anonymous said...
Christ died for our sins - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved

So delicately put Anonymous... The only question I will get into with this is... how did Jesus know what my (or anyone else's) sins were going to be? I have a feeling if he knew what would happen in the future, most notably in his own churches, he would have thought twice about signing up for that.

"What?! People who preach my word in the future are going to be the same ones who molest children?? And it will forever be swept under the rug?"

"And people will be paid off with millions of dollars to shut up and go away?!"

"Damn... the future is f-ed up"

You got that right Jesus.

Now... I can believe there was a man named Jesus Christ. Fine. And I can even believe he was killed the way that is generally accepted. Fine. But to say I should believe he died for our sins (which, some are pretty sick) strikes me as a little weird.

When the Lord Jesus Christ gets his own house in order, and is able to convince those who really do believe he died for our sins that touching little boys and girls is wrong, then leave me a message here and we can chat again.

But this time, do a grammar check, eh?

peace nick

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well first off I want to say that I was not the one who made that anonymous comment. I don't believe in th anonymous thing!(Though, for the record, 'believe ON the Lord Jesus' is a traditional translation.)

Second, the caution rating. This links quite nicely with some of the stuff you were saying about the church. I'm a church youthworker and that means that my blog is read by some of the young people I work with. I linked to your blog because I find it funny however some of the humour (and indeed your pic) is not what I and our child protection policy would consider really suitable for me to be recommending to a group which includes young people.

I know that some branches of the church have not covered themselves with glory as regards the protection of its children but there are those of us who take it seriously and ensuring that what we show them (be it on video or on the internet) is suitable is part of that. I'm not saying it doesn't still happen in places but I would say that churches are doing a great deal to do the utmost that they can to vet leaders and ensure through clear guidelines for our work that leaders are never in a position to abuse their power.

Sorry if you're offended by the caution rating but it has to be there.

On the matter of whether Jesus did or didn't know that what would happen in the future, well he knew people and I'm sure he knew that people in the future would be as fallible in the future as they were during his time. He'd have thought twice, you say. Yeah. He did.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home